- This event has passed.
Weekly branch meeting | Next up: State and Revolution
March 6 @ 6:30 pm - 8:00 pm UTC-8
CAL STATE LA
(detailed location info below)
Every week we meet to organize against Trump on the campus, plan demonstrations across LA, talk politics, and do reading groups. Come join us!
On Tuesday 13 February we’re reading STATE AND REVOLUTION, the classic text by Russian revolution Vladimir Lenin.
Check out the text here: https://www.marxists.org/ebooks/lenin/state-and-revolution.pdf
And the discussion questions here:
1. What does Lenin define as the role of the State rising out of “irreconcilable class antagonisms”? Is the State class-less?
2. How should the workers revolution approach the taking over of the State given the above?
3. How does Lenin define bourgeois revolutions?
4. What lessons does the Paris Commune have for revolutionaries on the question of the State and state power? What about on the question of an army?
5. How does Lenin differentiate between federalism and centralism?
6. How does Lenin approach the question of “abolishing the state”?
7. What does Lenin say to the question of “abolishing democracy”?
8. How does Lenin define the attitude of the workers state towards questions of “dictatorship”, “democracy” and “rights”?
9. How does a workers state differ from communism?
10. How did other Marxists approach the question of the state?